HOW TO MAKE BEEF BONE BROTH
SO, WHAT’S ALL THE BUZZ ABOUT BEEF BONE BROTH?
Beef broth is a mineral rich infusion made by simmering bones of healthy cattle with veggies, herbs and spices. Visit any five-star restaurant and there’s sure to be a big old pot of beef broth simmering in the kitchen. It then gets turned into sauces, gravies, soups-you name it. Make it a staple in your house and you’ll have loads of options too.
But, the biggest benefit? Broth does your body soooo much good.
THE BEAUTY OF BONE BROTH
Restorative, nourishing homemade beef bone broth is loaded with age-defying type 2 collagen, which has been recognized as a key factor in improving the appearance of your skin. This means bone broth can help diminish the look of fine lines, wrinkles and cellulite. For real!
VITAMINS, MINERALS AND MORE
Beef bone broth also has vitamins A, E, K and minerals like calcium, magnesium, potassium, zinc, iron and selenium plus loads of glucosamine and chondroitin which are natural compounds found in connective tissue that support joint health. Amino acids like glycine have strong anti-inflammatory properties too.
YUMMY AND GREAT FOR THE TUMMY
Beef bone broth is great for digestive health as well, thanks to the gelatin present in bone marrow which bonds with water in the body and helps eliminate waste, to put it nicely. From leaky gut syndrome to IBS, tummy sufferers are finding relief with beef bone broth. It’s the ultimate home remedy that’s both tasty and effective.
So let’s get brothing!
HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN BEEF BONE BROTH:
First, you’re gonna need some beef bones! Look for high quality bones from grass fed cattle. You’ll be extracting the minerals and drinking them in concentrated form you want to make sure the bones come from healthy animals.
HERE’S HOW TO GET YOUR BONES:
-Save leftovers from when you make a roast, chops, any kind of beef dish
-Get bones from your local butcher or farmer’s market
-Order bones online
NOW THAT YOU’VE BONED UP ON BROTH, LET’S GET COOKING!
Beef Bone Broth Recipe
-10 lbs. grass-fed beef bones
-4 large carrots
-2 medium onions
-2 whole heads garlic
-6 stalks celery
-4 bay leaves
-1/4 cup black peppercorns
-4 whole star anise
-2 whole cinnamon sticks
-2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
LET THE BROTH BEGIN: MAKING YOUR OWN BEEF BONE BROTH
1. Blanch the bones. Divide the bones between two large stockpots and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat and simmer 15-20 minutes before draining and rinsing bones with water.
2. Roast the bones and the vegetables. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Transfer the bones and veggies to the roasting pans. Roast for 30 minutes, turning occasionally.
3. Divide all the bones, veggies, vinegar and spices between two pots, cover them with 2 “ of filtered water so everything stays submerged. Cover pots and bring to a low boil.
4. Reduce heat to low and simmer with the lids slightly ajar skimming any foam or excess fat occasionally. Simmer for 8-24 hours.
5. Strain the bones with a fine mesh strainer.
6. Skim the fat from your broth. Add a handfuls of ice to your beef broth to expedite cooling.
7. Transfer broth to the fridge and allow broth to cool fully. There will be a hard, thick layer of fat and bottom layer that looks like brown Jello-that is your bone broth.
8. Use a fork to scoop off the top layer of fat
9. Store your bone broth in the fridge. It will last 5 days-or 3 months in the freezer.
WHEN BROTH BECOMES DINNER…
Here’s a tasty and nourishing dish, made with beef bone broth.
TOMATO BRAISED LENTILS
Makes a deliciously wholesome main course or a hearty side dish. 2 servings as a main and 4 as a side.
-4 tbsps. Extra virgin olive oil
-I medium onion
-1 clove garlic minced
-1 ½ cups green French lentils
-I tbsp. tomato paste
-3 cups beef bone broth
1 large bunch broccoli rabe
-1 clove garlic sliced
-1 large tomato, chopped
½ cup heavy cream
-1-2 tbsps. butter
-1 handful fresh basil leaves
-salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat 2 tbsps. of the olive oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Sweat the onions over low heat for 8 minutes until translucent, seasoning with salt and pepper. Add minced garlic, cook 1minute. Add lentils, tomato paste and a splash of broth. Increase heat to medium and stir occasionally until the lentils are tender (about 30 minutes).
2. Bring a separate pot of water to a boil and prepare a large ice bath. Drop the broccoli rabe in the boiling water and cook for 1-2 minutes. Remove with tongs and immediately place into ice bath to cool.
3. Drain and pat dry. In a separate pan, heat the remaining olive oil.
Add the sliced garlic clove and broccoli rabe. Seasons with salt and pepper and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the tomato to the lentils and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the cream and butter, and taste for seasoning when warm. Stir in the basil leaves, serve immediately with broccoli rabe on top.
BEEF BROTH SMOOTHIES?
Here’s a great way to get the full nourishment of beef bone broth that takes just minutes: freeze your beef bone broth in ice trays and put 5 cubes in your blender. Add a banana, coco, almond milk, berries-whatever you like. Voila! A superfood smoothie!
MAKE A HEALTHY MOVE, MAKE YOUR OWN BEEF BONE BROTH