HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN BONE BROTH
SO, WHAT’S ALL THE BUZZ ABOUT CHICKEN BONE BROTH?
Bone broth is a mineral rich infusion made by boiling bones of healthy animals with veggies, herbs and spices. Visit any five-star restaurant and there’s sure to be a big ol’ pot of broth simmering in the kitchen. It then gets turned into sauces, gravies, soups-you name it. Make it a staple in your house and you’ll have loads of options.
But, the biggest benefit? Broth does your body soooo much good.
BOOST YOUR HEALTH. MAKE YOUR OWN BROTH.
Homemade chicken bone broth has SO many culinary uses but more importantly it’s a powerful health tonic you can easily add to your diet. It’s a great source of amino acids and minerals and is known to boost immunity too. Calcium, magnesium, phosphorous-all that good stuff supports joints, connective tissue, hair, skin and nails due to its high collagen content AND bone broth is known to (drumroll please) reduce cellulite!
Yes, you heard it here first.
Keep broth on hand for cold and flu season too-it’s a soothing elixir especially good for when you’re sick and don’t feel like eating. It settles the stomach and helps you heal. And best of all, you don’t need a prescription, just your very own homemade chicken bone broth, made from scratch (and love).
With all the benefits of broth it’s time to make your own. So let’s get cooking!
HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN CHICKEN BONE BROTH:
First, you’re gonna need some…chicken bones!
Look for high quality bones from pastured chickens. You’ll be extracting the minerals and drinking them in concentrated form, so you want to make sure the bones come from healthy animals.
HERE’S HOW TO GET DA BONES:
-Save leftovers from when you roast a chicken
-Get bones from your local butcher or farmer’s market
-Order bones online
NOW THAT YOU’VE BONED UP ON BROTH…
Chicken Bone Broth Recipe
-2lbs. chicken bones
-2 chicken feet (eek!)
-1 gallon water
-2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
-2 stalks celery
-1 bunch parsley
-1 tbsp salt (optional)
-1 tsp peppercorns
-Herbs and spices to taste
-2 cloves garlic
LET THE BROTH BEGIN:
1. Roast your bones in the oven first, in a regular old roasting pan for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
2. Place bones in a large stockpot.
3. Rough chop and add the veggies (except the parsley and garlic).
Pour cool filtered water over the bones and veggies so they are submerged under 2” of water and add the vinegar. Let sit 20-30 minutes.
4. Add the salt, pepper, spices and herbs of your choice. Try bay leaves, basil, sage-whatever you have a taste for.
5. Bring the broth to a boil. Once it’s reached a vigorous boil, reduce to simmer and simmer until it’s done-24 hours is just right for some killer chicken broth.
6. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
7. During the last 30 minutes add the garlic and parsley.
8.Strain using a fine metal strainer to remove all bits of bones and veggies.
9. When it’s cooled down, store in a gallon size glass jar and pop it in the fridge or freeze. It will be fresh for up to five days in the fridge.
Your homemade chicken broth can take on many identities-you can make gravies, stews, sauces, soups and reductions-or use it to sauté or roast veggies. The flavor of your own homemade chicken bone broth adds a delish taste to so many recipes.
Drink your own homemade chicken bone broth straight to boost your health. It’s a healthy habit that’s extremely tasty.
Keep bone broth on hand for overall health and wellness-it’s easy to digest and helps the body heal faster. Talk about the perfect home remedy! Granny was onto something.
WHEN BROTH BECOMES DINNER:
There’s so many ways to serve up great dishes with bone broth as the base.
One way to turn your bone broth into a great meal is to make:
FAST AND EASY CHICEKN TORTILLA SOUP
(Serves 4 as a starter, 2 as a main course)
-4 cups homemade chicken broth
-2 large garlic cloves
-1-2 tbsps. chipotle chilies in adobo sauce or homemade chili puree*
-2 small carrots peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
-1 ½ cups cooked, shredded chicken meat
-1 lime, juiced
-Salt and pepper to taste
-Crumbled tortilla chips
-Fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
-Crumbled Queso Fresco (or Monterey Jack)
1. In a medium pot or Dutch oven, heat the broth until simmering.
2. While it’s warming blend the garlic with 1 to 2 tbsps. chipotle chilies and their sauce in a food processor or mortar and pestle until they form a paste.
3. Whisk the paste into the broth, add the carrots and simmer until the carrots are soft but not mushy, about 10-15 minutes.
4. Add the chicken meat along with the lime juice and simmer until meat is warmed though.
5. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
TA-DA! YOUR CHICKEN BONE BROTH IS NOW A CULINARY FIESTA!
This is a spicy soup! If you’re not feelin’ it, use 1/2 tbsp. of the pureed chilies and taste the soup before adding the rest. This way, you control the heat. Get it as mild or hot as you fancy.
Tomato soup lover? If you have them in the cupboard, try adding a 15 ounce can diced tomatoes along with the chicken meat. It’s a fun variation on a traditional recipe.
Make your own chicken bone broth and the possibilities are endless.
-Soak 2-3 dried Ancho or New Mexico chilies into boiling water until soft (about ten minutes).
-Puree the chilies in a blender with just enough of their soaking water to make a smooth but no too thick paste. Leftover chili puree will keep in the fridge for one week or the freezer for 2 months.
Now that you’ve boned up on broth it’s time to make your own!
Here’s to your health and a world of epic epicurean adventures that all start with your own homemade chicken bone broth.